Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Book Review: Tangled Tides by Karen Amanda Hooper

Hello Party People!
I have a book review to share.
I was lucky enough to receive this ARC of Tangled Tides by Karen Hopper, to read and review for the author & publisher.  I will tell you right now, I am crappy at leaving reviews on books, I don't know why, but I just can't review a book in great detail, or with out spoiling it.  But since I was asked to leave the review per the publisher and was lucky enough to get this book early, I will respectfully do so.
Here is the book summary:
Yara Jones doesn’t believe in sea monsters—until she becomes one.
When a hurricane hits her island home and she wakes up with fins,
 Yara finds herself tangled up in an underwater world
 of mysterious merfolk and secretive selkies.
 Both sides believe Yara can save them by fulfilling a broken promise
 and opening the sealed gateway to their realm, but they are battling
 over how it should be done. The selkies want to take her life.
 The merfolk want something far more precious.
Treygan, the stormy-eyed merman who turned Yara mer,
 will stop at nothing and sacrifice everything to protect his people—
until he falls for Yara. The tides turn as Yara fights to save herself,
hundreds of sea creatures, and the merman who has her heart.
She could lose her soul in the process—or she might open
 the gateway to a love that’s deeper than the oceans

This was the first book that I've ever read that involved Mermaids. When I received the e-book I just dove into it, I didn't read the summary or have any clue as to what it was about. When I found out that the main characters were mer, I thought "sweet, this is different." I enjoyed the world that Karen invented. At first I will admit I could not get The Little Mermaid out of my head. But the more I read the more I pushed that visual aside. I thoroughly enjoyed the characters that she brought to life on the pages, they are for the most part easy to picture. But when we got to the selkies, I was a bit confused on how to imagine them in my brain. When you find out what they are you might be like I was and think "what the heck does this have anything to do with mermaids?" But they will grow on you a bit. The plot of the story was very interesting, the details were great. I will say though the only issues I ran into with this story was all the mer rules, and there are other creatures including the selkies, sirens, and gorgons who all had rules and laws, and different life styles. It was hard to grasp at first because it was in the beginning of the story and I didn't know the different creatures to place it all together in a neat little list. As I read it all fell into place and came together more and more. With out spoiling the story, I will also say there was a big even that happened between the two main characters, although I was hoping it would happen, the evet came out of left field, it was like one moment they are going about their business, there was an inner fight with one of the characters, then the next second it was in full force. I would have liked a bit of foreplay if you will to see the event grow a bit more.
Over all I enjoyed the story, it kept me interested and we all know that takes allot for me with my ADD, it's harder than most to stay on task. I enjoyed the action that was in the books, and let me just say Pango & Merrick two mermen in the story are a riot, I quite enjoyed their characters, they made me giggle often.


I will rate this book 3.5 stars, and I would recommend this story to others to bring them into the mer world.


I would like to thank Karen Hooper for writing this story and sharing it.

Thats all for now Party Rockers.
Go read a book!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment